Network Systems Lab
Hitachi America, Ltd.
Santa Clara, CA
[Research] [Publications] [Experience] [Patents] [Awards]
- Wireless Communication, Digital signal processing, MIMO communication, interference coordination, heterogeneous cellular networks, ad hoc networks, stochastic geometry applications in wireless communications
- Staff Research Engineer at Hitachi America R&D, Network Systems Lab, 2015 - Present
- Research Engineer at Hitachi America R&D, Wireless Systems Research Group, 2013-2015.
- Company Delegate for 3GPP RAN1 standardization, April 2013- Present
- Research Intern at Huawei, Wireless Research and Standards group, Summer 2012
- Research Intern at Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent, within the small cells research project, Paris, France, Summer 2011
- Visiting PhD student at Alcatel-Lucent Chair on Flexible Radios, Supelec, Fall-Spring 2010-2011
- Engineering Intern at Qualcomm CDMA Technologies (QCT) systems, Santa Clara, California, Summer 2010
- Research Intern at Alcatel-Lucent Chair on Flexible Radios, Supelec, France, Summer 2009
- Network Analytics for Service Assurance in Cellular and WiFi networks
- Full-dimensional MIMO for Cellular Networks
- Coverage and Capacity for mmWave Cellular networks using a stochastic geometry framework
- Inter-cell interference mitigation with limited feedback using a stochastic geometry framework
- Distributed interference mitigation for MIMO ad hoc networks: Gains from using multiple antennas for transmission
- Beamforming and rate adaptation for heterogeneous networks with imperfect channel state information at the transmitter
- The effect of imperfect channel state information on limited feedback MIMO with other cell interference
- MCMC methods for detection in MIMO systems with emphasis on the high SNR regime (Master's thesis)
- Implementation of a cognitive radio modem with emphasis on filterbanks channel sensing
- [B1] S. Akoum, M. Kountouris, and R. W. Heath, Jr., "Multiple antenna techniques in small cell networks", Chapter in "Small Cell Networks: Deployment, PHY Techniques, and Resource Management", edited by Tony Q. S. Quek, Guillaume de la Roche, Ismail Guvenc, and Marios Kountouris, Cambridge University Press
- [C1] S. Akoum, and J. Acharya, "Vertical Beamforming for Three Dimensional User Placement", accepted to IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications, Feb. 2015.
- [C2] J. Acharya and S. Akoum, "Optimizing vertical sectorization for high rises", accepted to IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications, Feb. 2015.
- [C3] S. Akoum, and J. Acharya, "Full-Dimensional MIMO for Future Cellular Networks", in Proc. of IEEE Radio Wireless Week Symposium (RWW), Jan. 2014.
- [C10] S. Akoum, M. Zwinglstein-Colin, R.W. Heath Jr., M. Debbah, "Cognitive Cooperation for the Downlink of Frequency Reuse Small Cells", in Proc. of the International Workshop on Cognitive Information Processing (CIP), Jun. 2010, Italy. [ieeexplore]
- [C11] S. Akoum, R. Peng, R. Chen, B. Farhang-Boroujeny, "Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for high SNR regimes", in Proc. of IEEE International conference on Communication (ICC) Jul. 2009, Dresden, Germany. [ieeexplore]
- [C12] P. Amini, E. Azarnasab, P. Amini, S. Akoum, B. Farhang-Bouroujeny, "An Experimental Cognitive Radio for First Responders", in Proc. of IEEE Dynamic Spectrum Access Conference (DySpan), 2008, Chicago, Il. [ieeexplore]
- [C13] P. Amini, E. Azarnasab, S. Akoum, X. Mao, H. Rao, B. Farhang-Bouroujeny, "Implementation of a cognitive radio modem", in Proc. of the Software Defined Radio Technical Conference (SDR Forum), Nov. 2007, Denver, Col. [Poster Overview], [Poster Hardware]
- [C14] S. Akoum, B. Farhang-Bouroujeny, “A phase locked loop with arbitrarily wide lock range for software defined radios, in Proc. of the Software Defined Radio Technical Conference (SDR Forum), Nov. 2007, Denver, Col. [pdf]
- S. Akoum, C. Chen, M. Debbah, L. Roullet, "Interference mitigation in a cellular network", Aug. 2012.
- B. Farhang-Boroujeny, S. Akoum, "
Estimation of Log-likelihood values using constrained Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulations; United States Patent No. 8,045,604 issued on October 25, 2011
- Several other patent applications filed and currently under review
- Technical Program Committee: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC) Fall, 2014
- Technical Program Committee: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC) Spring, 2013
- Technical Program Committee: IEEE International Conference on Communication (ICC) - Workshop on Self-organization in Heterogeneous networks, 2013
- Publicity chair for the 2013 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, Austin, Texas, January 2013
- Publicity chair for the 2012 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, Santa Clara, California, January 2012
- Publicity chair for the 2011 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, Phoenix, Arizona, January 2011
- Reviewer for:
- IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine, Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Journal, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, IEEE GLOBECOM, IEEE ICASSP, IEEE ICC, IEEE VTC, IEEE/EURASIP ICP
Awards and Honors
- Best paper award, software defined radio technical conference, 2007
- 2007 Smart radio challenge finalist (top 8 teams)
- Dean's honor list, American University of Beirut (Fall 2002 - Spring 2006)
- Scholarship award, National center for scientific research (CNRS), Lebanon, 2002-2006
- Hariri Foundation award, for outstanding academic achievement, 2002
- Lebanese Ministry of Education scholarship award, Beirut, Lebanon, 2004
- Ranked 2nd over Lebanon in the high school national examinations, general sciences (SG)
- Full Dimensional MIMO for Future Cellular Networks, RWW 2014 invited speaker for the MIMO and Smart Antennas Session, Jan. 2014.
- Interference Coordination: Random Clustering and Adaptive Limited Feedback, Huawei US Wireless standards and research department, May 2012.
- Multicell Coordination beyond Wyner and the grid, Wireless Networking and Communication Group open house, Feb. 2012.
- Beamforming and rate adaptation on the downlink of a two-tier cellular network, Texas Wireless Summit, Oct. 2011.
- Spatial interference mitigation with limited coordination for future wireless networks, Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent, June 2011.
- Spatial interference nulling for femtocell networks: Altruistic precoding, European winter school on Information Theory, March 2011.
- Rate backoff for goodput maximization on the downlink of a heterogeneous network, ECOSCELLS meeting, Orange Labs, France, Feb 2011.